Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Yummy Shrimp!

So with my new free time I have also tried to keep up with cooking. My Mom had given me a bag of frozen shrimp so I had been looking for a recipe to try using shrimp. And yes I got the recipe from Pinterest! Where else would it come from haha! The name of the recipe is actually called Penne a la Betsy from the Pioneer Woman.

Ingredients:
- 3/4 Pound penne pasta
- 1 Pound shrimp
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 can Tomato Sauce (8 oz)
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- Fresh Parsley to taste
- Fresh Basil to taste
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste

Instructions: 
1. Cook the penne pastas until al dente.
2. Peel, devein and rinse 1 pound of extra large shrimp. Heat about 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil in skillet. Add the shrimp and cook for a couple minutes until just opaque. Do not overcook them. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. (If your shrimp still have the tails on them put the cooked shrimp on a cutting board and take off the tails. Cut the shrimp into bite size pieces.)
3. Finely dice one small onion. Mince two cloves of garlic.
4. In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the garlic and onion and sauté, stirring occasionally. After the garlic and onions have cooked a bit add your white wine. Let the wine evaporate for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Now add an 8 oz can of tomato sauce. Stir well until combined. Then add 1 cup of heavy cream. Continue storing. Turn heat down to low and let simmer.
6. Now chop your herbs, about a tablespoon of chopped parsley and about the same about of basil.
7. Now add your chopped shrimp back into the tomato cream sauce. Give it a stir and add salt and pepper to taste. Throw in your herbs and stir until combined.
8. Finally add your cooked pane pasta and give it a good stir.

* I used the whole box (whole pound) of pasta. The shrimp I had were also smaller so I didn't chop them up.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for you sharing such a nice post. I would say that, What's the best way to thaw frozen shrimp? Does an overnight thaw in the fridge yield better results than a quick thaw under running water? Is the texture and/or flavor better that way? Thanks..

    Frozen Shrimp

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thawed my in a pasta strainer under cold water because that is what the package said. I was also just a littler nervous about leaving them sitting out. Let me know if you try the recipe!

    ReplyDelete