Thursday, February 21, 2013

Easy Meal for Lent! "Baked" Potato Soup

Hey everyone! I have managed to finally cook something new! Well I have been making it for several years but this is the first time since I started this blog I have made it. I made "Baked" Potato soup the other night for my parents and they LOVED it! It is so super easy! I actually found it in a magazine pull out. I am pretty sure it is an advertisement for a Southern Living Cookbook haha. But that doesn't really matter. All that matters is this is a yummy filling meal that is perfect to tweak for Lent or to be vegetarian friendly. The recipe calls to use chicken broth but if you are Catholic like me, or are vegetarian, you can use a vegetable broth instead and it is still just as good :)

"Baked" Potato Soup
Ingredients:

-6 Large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1.5 cups)- 3 (14 oz) cans chicken broth with roasted garlic (or vegetable broth)- 1/4 cup butter- 2.5 teaspoons salt- 1.25 teaspoons freshly ground pepper- 1 cup whipping cream or half and half- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese- 3 Tablespoons chopping fresh chives- 1 (8oz) container sour cream (optional)- 4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled- Extra shredded cheese

Directions:
1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a 5 quart slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 hours or on LOW 8 hours or until potatoes are tender. 
3. Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped and soup is slightly thickened; stir in cream, cheese, and chives. Top with sour cream if desired, and sprinkle with bacon and Cheddar cheese before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment